Bitsbox Terms of Service
We need everyone’s help to make Bitsbox a friendly and creative community.
- Be respectful. If you choose to share your apps, remember that people of many different ages and backgrounds might see your work.
- Keep personal info private. For safety reasons, don't make apps with real names or contact info like phone numbers or addresses.
- Help keep the site friendly. If you think a project or comment is mean, insulting, too violent, or otherwise inappropriate, email email@example.com to let us know about it.
Bitsbox welcomes people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
1.3 Bitsbox is open to children and adults of all ages, and we ask that you keep this in mind when using the Bitsbox services. When you use Bitsbox, you agree to abide by the Bitsbox Community Guidelines.
2.2 You are responsible for keeping your password secret and your account secure. You are solely responsible for any use of your account, even if your account is used by another person. If any use of your account violates the Terms of Service, your account may be suspended or deleted.
2.3 You may not use another person's Bitsbox account without permission.
2.4 Account names cannot be changed. If you want a different account name, create a new account and copy your existing projects over by hand.
2.5 If you have reason to believe that your account is no longer secure (for example, in the event of a loss, theft, or unauthorized disclosure of your password), promptly change your password. If you cannot access your account to change your password, notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3.1 The Bitsbox Team supports freedom of expression. However, Bitsbox is intended for a wide audience, and some content is inappropriate for the Bitsbox community. You may not use the Bitsbox service in any way, that:
- Promotes bigotry, discrimination, hatred, or violence against any individual or group;
- Threatens, harasses, or intimidates any other person, whether that person is a Bitsbox user or not;
- Contains foul language or personal attacks;
- Contains sexually explicit or graphically violent material;
- Provides instructions on how to commit illegal activities or obtain illegal products;
- Except in connection with organizing Bitsbox day events, asks any other user for personally identifying information, contact information, or passwords; or
- Exposes any others person's personally identifying information, contact information, or passwords without that person's permission.
3.3 You agree to comply with all applicable laws and regulations when you use Bitsbox. You may not use Bitsbox in any unlawful way, including to harass, stalk, or defame any other person.
3.4 You may not impersonate, imitate or pretend to be somebody else when using the Services.
3.5 You agree not to use Bitsbox in any way intended to disrupt the service, gain unauthorized access to the service, or interfere with any other user's ability to use the service. Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to:
- Posting content deliberately designed to crash the Bitsbox website or editor;
- Linking to pages containing viruses or malware;
- Using administrator passwords or pretending to be an administrator;
- Repeatedly posting the same material, or "spamming."
3.6 Commercial use of Bitsbox, user-generated content, and support materials is permitted under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license. However, the Bitsbox Team reserves the right to block any commercial use of Bitsbox that, in the Bitsbox Team's sole discretion, is harmful to the community.
4.2 The Bitsbox Team encourages everyone to foster creativity by freely sharing code, art, music, and other works. However, we also understand the need for individuals and companies to protect their intellectual property rights. You are responsible for making sure you have the necessary rights, licenses, or permission for any user-generated content you submit to Bitsbox.
4.3 All user-generated content you submit to Bitsbox is licensed to and through Bitsbox under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license. This allows others to view and remix your content. This license also allows the Bitsbox Team to display, distribute, and reproduce your content on the Bitsbox website, through social media channels, and elsewhere.
4.6 All user-generated content is provided as-is. The Bitsbox Team makes no warranties about the accuracy or reliability of any user-generated content available through Bitsbox. The Bitsbox Team does not endorse any views, opinions, or advice expressed in user-generated content. You agree to relieve the Bitsbox Team of any and all liability arising from your user-generated content and from Bitsbox teaching events you may organize or host.
5.2 Bitsbox provides support materials, including images, sounds, video, and sample code, to help users build projects. Support materials are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license. You may also use screenshots of Bitsbox under the same license. Please note that this does not apply to materials that are also trademarked by the Bitsbox Team or other parties as described in parts 5.4 and 5.5, below.
The Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license requires you to attribute any material you use to the original author. When you use Bitsbox support materials, or screenshots of the Bitsbox website, please use the following attribution: "Courtesy of Bitsbox. Build apps at Bitsbox.com"
5.4 The Bitsbox name and Bitsbox logo are property of Bitsbox. Unless you are licensed by Bitsbox under a specific licensing program or agreement, you many not use the name or logo to label, promote, or endorse any product or service. You may use the Bitsbox Logo to refer to the Bitsbox website.
6.1 If you are a copyright holder and believe that content on Bitsbox violates your rights, you may send a DMCA notification to email@example.com. For more information, including the information that must be included in a DMCA notification, see the text of the DMCA, 17 U.S.C. § 512.
6.2 If you are a Bitsbox user and you believe that your content did not constitute a copyright violation and was taken down in error, you may send a notification to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include:
- Your Bitsbox username or email address;
- The specific content you believe was taken down in error; and
- A brief statement of why you believe there was no copyright violation (e.g., the content was not copyrighted, you had permission to use the content, or your use of the content was a "fair use").
7.2 If you want to delete or disable your account, please email email@example.com.
8.1 Content on Bitsbox, including user-generated content, may include links to third party websites. The Bitsbox Team is not capable of reviewing or managing third party websites, and assumes no responsibility for the privacy practices, content, or functionality of third party websites. You agree to relieve the Bitsbox Team of any and all liability arising from third party websites.
You agree to indemnify Bitsbox and all their affiliates, employees, agents, representatives, third party service providers, and members of their governing boards (all of which are "Bitsbox Entities"), and to defend and hold each of them harmless, from any and all claims and liabilities (including attorneys' fees) arising out of or related to your breach of the Terms of Service or your use of Bitsbox.
You acknowledge that you are using Bitsbox at your own risk. Bitsbox is provided "as is," and the Bitsbox Entities hereby expressly disclaim any and all warranties, express and implied, including but not limited to any warranties of accuracy, reliability, title, merchantability, non-infringement, fitness for a particular purpose or any other warranty, condition, guarantee or representation, whether oral, in writing or in electronic form, including but not limited to the accuracy or completeness of any information contained therein or provided by Bitsbox. Without limiting the foregoing, the Bitsbox Entities disclaim any and all warranties, express and implied, regarding user-generated content and Bitsbox materials. The Bitsbox Entities and their third party service providers do not represent or warrant that access to Bitsbox will be uninterrupted or that there will be no failures, errors or omissions or loss of transmitted information, or that no viruses will be transmitted through Bitsbox services.
The Bitsbox Entities shall not be liable to you or any third parties for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or punitive damages of any kind, regardless of the type of claim or the nature of the cause of action, even if the Bitsbox Team has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Without limiting the foregoing, the Bitsbox Entites shall have no liability to you or any third parties for damages or harms arising out of user-generated content or Bitsbox materials.
Bitsbox is offered by the Bitsbox Team from its facilities in the United States. The Bitsbox Team makes no representations that Bitsbox is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use Bitsbox are responsible for compliance with local law.
Please do not share personal contact information, such as your name, physical address, email address, phone number, or anything else that can be used to make contact outside of the Bitsbox website. Please report projects, comments, or forum posts that contain this kind of information so the Bitsbox team can remove it, and please remind the author of our policy.
Coding Account Information: In order to save app projects you need to make an account. During account creation, we ask you for a username or email address (or your parent or guardian's email address if you are under 13 years old), or you may use a Google account (such as school created accounts) regardless of age. Once an account is created, we optionally allow you to tell us your first name, age, and gender. We ask that you select a user name that does not disclose your real name or other information that could identify you. Other users who you share apps with can see your first name, but not your age, gender, Google account information, or email address.
Subscription Account Information: If you choose to purchase a monthly subscription to Bitsbox, we will require you to create a subscription account. This account is separate from any coding accounts. During subscription account creation, we ask you for email address, contact information, payment information, and shipping information. We use cratejoy.com for order management and stripe.com for payment processing. Bitsbox and the Bitsbox team never have access to your credit card number or account passwords.
User-generated Content: All of your Bitsbox projects, comments, and forum posts are stored on the Bitsbox servers. Because the Bitsbox Team is responsible for moderation, we have access to all content stored on the Bitsbox website, including unshared projects.
Usage Information: When you use Bitsbox, our servers will automatically store a limited amount of information about how you use the website. This information includes a number that identifies your computer (the IP address), which pages you visited, and what browser you are using.
Cookies: When you log in, the Bitsbox website asks your browser to put an http "cookie" on your computer. The cookie is actually a small text file that our site can send to your browser for storage on your computer. This allows the website to remember that you are logged in when you go to a different page.
- We collect age and gender data so that we know who is using our website.
- If you forget your password, we will ask you to give us your email address so that we can send you a new password.
- We will use your email address to respond to messages you send us or to communicate with you about the Bitsbox service or your account.
- We may send out occasional email updates about Bitsbox to the confirmed email address on your account. Bitsbox will never sell or share your email address without your permission. You can unsubscribe from these updates by clicking the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of the email.
- If we detect repeated abusive behavior from your account, IP address, or email address, we may share your account name, IP address, and the time and content of the abusive behavior with the IP address owner (such as a school or internet service provided).
- We may use de-identified location, age, gender, and usage data in research studies intended to improve our understanding of how people learn with Bitsbox. The results of this research are shared with educators and researchers through conferences, journals, and other publications.
- We may disclose some of the information we collect to third-party service providers that help us manage communications to and from the Bitsbox website and improve website performance. We are satisfied that these service providers have privacy policies that restrict them from further disclosing any of your information.
- Other than as described above, we will never share personally identifiable information about you with any other person, company, or organization, except:
- As required to comply with our obligations under the law.
- For technical reasons, if we are required to transfer the data on our servers to another location or organization.
The Bitsbox Team has in place physical and electronic procedures to protect the information we collect on the Bitsbox website. We strictly limit individual access to the Bitsbox servers and the data we store on them. However, as effective as these measures are, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot completely guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us over the Internet.